TESTING > BREAST MARKER (CA 15-3)
BREAST MARKER (CA 15-3)
- The CA 15-3 assay value, regardless of level, should not be interpreted as absolute evidence for the presence or absence of malignant disease. The CA 15-3 assay value should be used in conjunction with information available from clinical evaluation and diagnostic procedure.
- The CA 15-3 test is only useful when it is positive. Often it is not.
- Methodology: immunochemiluminometric assay (ICMA) References Hayes DF, Zurawski VR Jr, and Kufe DW, "Comparison of Circulating CA 15-3 and Carcinoembryonic Antigen Levels in Patients With Breast Cancer, J Clin Oncol, 1986, 4(10):1542-50.
- Normal Range is 7.5 – 53.0 U/mL.
- Values obtained with different assay methods should not be used interchangeably.